Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
End of sea salmon season
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_034
PLACENAME
unidentified
DISTRICT
Skye
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13090
KEYWORDS
nets
bag nets
salmon
fishing
oil skins
fish catch
Sunday fishing
oars
rowing
End of sea salmon season

This photograph was captioned 'end of season'. The sea salmon fishing on Skye went from April/May until September. On a pleasant day it would have been an enjoyable task to be tidying the stations and preparing all the equipment for winter.

The salmon stations were situated along the shores of Trotternish and Raasay. Each of the stations had basic huts for accommodation and storage of equipment. Anything that couldn't be left over the winter at the stations would be taken to Portree and stored in the sheds at Bayfield.

Some of the men were hired during the winter months to cut ice from Sluggans, and fill the ice house on the pier in Portree. Others picked up employment from various sources when they could but often the salmon fishing was their main source of employment for the year.

This photograph shows a very good view of the cobles that were used for the fishing industry. Their high bows and flat bottoms made them solid and stable in the water.



West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

End of sea salmon season

1940s; 1950s

nets; bag nets; salmon; fishing; oil skins; fish catch; Sunday fishing; oars; rowing

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph was captioned 'end of season'. The sea salmon fishing on Skye went from April/May until September. On a pleasant day it would have been an enjoyable task to be tidying the stations and preparing all the equipment for winter. <br /> <br /> The salmon stations were situated along the shores of Trotternish and Raasay. Each of the stations had basic huts for accommodation and storage of equipment. Anything that couldn't be left over the winter at the stations would be taken to Portree and stored in the sheds at Bayfield. <br /> <br /> Some of the men were hired during the winter months to cut ice from Sluggans, and fill the ice house on the pier in Portree. Others picked up employment from various sources when they could but often the salmon fishing was their main source of employment for the year.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows a very good view of the cobles that were used for the fishing industry. Their high bows and flat bottoms made them solid and stable in the water. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />