Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lealt Salmon Fishing Crew, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_038
PLACENAME
Rubha nam Brathairean
DISTRICT
Skye
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13094
KEYWORDS
fishing
huts
circles
fort
defence
dun
monks
worship
sea salmon
nets
whisky
dram
Lealt Salmon Fishing Crew, Isle of Skye

This photograph shows the Lealt salmon fishing crew alongside the 'Nereid', the boat that took supplies, ice and equipment from Portree to the fishing stations and would return with the freshly caught salmon.

David Banks, son of James Banks who owned the fishing lease, is kneeling on the 'Nereid' talking to the crew in the smaller boat. It appears that David has just offered the crew a dram. Two of the crew have been identified. The man resting his head in his hands is Angus MacLeod, and on the far right is his brother Donald MacLeod from Culnacnoc.

In the distance is Rubha nam Brathairean, or Brother's Point. It is believed that this was the site of a monastic community around 1000 years ago. There are the remains of several hut circles, walls and land cultivation. The point offers stunning views to the north to the Kilt Rock, and east to Isle Rona and the mainland.


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lealt Salmon Fishing Crew, Isle of Skye

1940s; 1950s

fishing; huts; circles; fort; defence; dun; monks; worship; sea salmon; nets; whisky; dram

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph shows the Lealt salmon fishing crew alongside the 'Nereid', the boat that took supplies, ice and equipment from Portree to the fishing stations and would return with the freshly caught salmon. <br /> <br /> David Banks, son of James Banks who owned the fishing lease, is kneeling on the 'Nereid' talking to the crew in the smaller boat. It appears that David has just offered the crew a dram. Two of the crew have been identified. The man resting his head in his hands is Angus MacLeod, and on the far right is his brother Donald MacLeod from Culnacnoc.<br /> <br /> In the distance is Rubha nam Brathairean, or Brother's Point. It is believed that this was the site of a monastic community around 1000 years ago. There are the remains of several hut circles, walls and land cultivation. The point offers stunning views to the north to the Kilt Rock, and east to Isle Rona and the mainland.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />