Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
David Banks
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_039
PLACENAME
unknown
DISTRICT
unknown
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
Unknown
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13095
KEYWORDS
firearms
rifles
seals
poison
Scottish House
fisheries
David Banks

This photograph shows David Banks on the 'Nereid', keeping watch for seals. Seals have always been a problem for the salmon fishing industry all over Scotland. Workers in the commercial salmon fishing industry were licensed to control the seal population in their area. James Banks noted in a letter to the Salmon Net Fishing Association of Scotland that seals were 'an annual headache' and he had to wage a 'continuous war against them or our losses would be terrific'.

Permission was given from the Scottish House Department to purchase strychnine. Also, salmon stations were equipped with rifles and were authorised to shoot the seals. Banks noted that the best method of control would be getting the seals at the breeding grounds but as the grey seal was protected during the breeding season this was impossible.



West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

David Banks

Unknown

1940s; 1950s

firearms; rifles; seals; poison; Scottish House; fisheries

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph shows David Banks on the 'Nereid', keeping watch for seals. Seals have always been a problem for the salmon fishing industry all over Scotland. Workers in the commercial salmon fishing industry were licensed to control the seal population in their area. James Banks noted in a letter to the Salmon Net Fishing Association of Scotland that seals were 'an annual headache' and he had to wage a 'continuous war against them or our losses would be terrific'. <br /> <br /> Permission was given from the Scottish House Department to purchase strychnine. Also, salmon stations were equipped with rifles and were authorised to shoot the seals. Banks noted that the best method of control would be getting the seals at the breeding grounds but as the grey seal was protected during the breeding season this was impossible. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />