Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lealt Sea Salmon Fishing Crew
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_044
PLACENAME
Lealt
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmuir
DATE OF IMAGE
1946
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13100
KEYWORDS
nets
bag nets
salmon
fishing
oil skins
fish catch
Sunday fishing
oars
rowing
Lealt Sea Salmon Fishing Crew

This photograph shows the Lealt sea salmon fishing crew c1946. The man in front of the oarsmen and facing the camera has been identified as the skipper, John Cameron.

There was a four or five man crew based at Lealt. Basic huts provided accommodation for overnight stays and for storing nets and equipment. The main boat, the 'Nereid,' would travel from Portree on alternate days to collect the fresh salmon and bring any necessary supplies to the station.

The rowing boat shown is a clinker built coble. The high bow and flat bottom design suited the conditions of the west coast. The boats were very solid and stable in the water which made them ideal for fishing when the crew would be hauling in nets, fish and anchors.




West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lealt Sea Salmon Fishing Crew

INVERNESS: Kilmuir

1940s

nets; bag nets; salmon; fishing; oil skins; fish catch; Sunday fishing; oars; rowing

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph shows the Lealt sea salmon fishing crew c1946. The man in front of the oarsmen and facing the camera has been identified as the skipper, John Cameron. <br /> <br /> There was a four or five man crew based at Lealt. Basic huts provided accommodation for overnight stays and for storing nets and equipment. The main boat, the 'Nereid,' would travel from Portree on alternate days to collect the fresh salmon and bring any necessary supplies to the station.<br /> <br /> The rowing boat shown is a clinker built coble. The high bow and flat bottom design suited the conditions of the west coast. The boats were very solid and stable in the water which made them ideal for fishing when the crew would be hauling in nets, fish and anchors. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>