Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Delivering fuel to salmon station
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_046
PLACENAME
Braes
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13102
KEYWORDS
salmon fishing
fuel
barrel
engine
nets
ice
boats
Delivering fuel to salmon station

This photograph shows some of the Braes salmon fishing crew collecting a barrel of fuel. The main boat for the sea salmon fishing would travel from Portree on alternate days, going to the Staffin fishing stations one day and those on Raasay and at Braes the next. It would deliver fuel, supplies, ice and equipment and take back the fresh salmon to the ice house in Portree.

In this photograph the fuel is being moved from the larger boat on the left to the 'Nereid' on the right. Tied up beside the 'Nereid' is a coble, one of the smaller boats used at all the salmon stations for the daily work of hauling and moving nets. This barrel of fuel was probably destined for the fishing station on the shore.

David Banks, the son of the owner of the fishing lease, is seen here kneeling with his back to the camera.



West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Delivering fuel to salmon station

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s; 1960s

salmon fishing; fuel; barrel; engine; nets; ice; boats

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph shows some of the Braes salmon fishing crew collecting a barrel of fuel. The main boat for the sea salmon fishing would travel from Portree on alternate days, going to the Staffin fishing stations one day and those on Raasay and at Braes the next. It would deliver fuel, supplies, ice and equipment and take back the fresh salmon to the ice house in Portree. <br /> <br /> In this photograph the fuel is being moved from the larger boat on the left to the 'Nereid' on the right. Tied up beside the 'Nereid' is a coble, one of the smaller boats used at all the salmon stations for the daily work of hauling and moving nets. This barrel of fuel was probably destined for the fishing station on the shore. <br /> <br /> David Banks, the son of the owner of the fishing lease, is seen here kneeling with his back to the camera. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>