Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Raasay Salmon Fishing Crew
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_048
PLACENAME
Raasay
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13104
KEYWORDS
Raasay
Brochel Castle
fishing
salmon
nets
Hallaig
boats
James Banks
West Highland Salmon Fishing Co
coble
Raasay Salmon Fishing Crew

This photograph shows David Banks talking to some of the Raasay sea salmon fishing crew. David Banks and his father, James, were the owners of the sea salmon fishing lease and David spent many of his summers working on the fishing boats.

The salmon station on Raasay was near Brochel Castle on the northeast side of the island. The crew looked after four bag nets near Brochel and two nets to the south near Hallaig. Salmon swimming along the coastline would encounter the leader net, set at right angles to the shoreline, and swim along to the opening to the bag and be caught.

The station consisted of a couple of huts for storing nets and equipment and an area nearby for hanging nets so they could be dried, cleaned and repaired. This photograph shows the oilskin coverall that was generally worn by the fishermen when at sea and a net piled into the bow of the boat, ready to be set.




West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Raasay Salmon Fishing Crew

INVERNESS: Portree

1950s

Raasay; Brochel Castle; fishing; salmon; nets; Hallaig; boats; James Banks; West Highland Salmon Fishing Co; coble

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph shows David Banks talking to some of the Raasay sea salmon fishing crew. David Banks and his father, James, were the owners of the sea salmon fishing lease and David spent many of his summers working on the fishing boats. <br /> <br /> The salmon station on Raasay was near Brochel Castle on the northeast side of the island. The crew looked after four bag nets near Brochel and two nets to the south near Hallaig. Salmon swimming along the coastline would encounter the leader net, set at right angles to the shoreline, and swim along to the opening to the bag and be caught.<br /> <br /> The station consisted of a couple of huts for storing nets and equipment and an area nearby for hanging nets so they could be dried, cleaned and repaired. This photograph shows the oilskin coverall that was generally worn by the fishermen when at sea and a net piled into the bow of the boat, ready to be set.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />