Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Bay, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_053
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13109
KEYWORDS
Portree
coble
boats
sea salmon
fishing
nets
Flora
West Highland Salmon Fisheries
Portree Bay, Skye

This postcard photograph was taken on the shore by the pier at Portree, Isle of Skye. The 'Flora' is at anchor, possibly at the end of a days' fishing. This substantial vessel was built in 1895 in Tarbert, Loch Fyne. The boat was registered in 1931 to Donald MacLeod, Arnish, Raasay then sold to Charles and MacRae, Portree in 1940. The 'Flora' was reregistered BRD115 to MacDonald's in Staffin.

It is uncertain whether this boat was used by the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd but this type of boat was commonly used for fishing in the area and similar boats were built by local boat builders. She was broken up in 1987.




West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Bay, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1940s; 1950s

Portree; coble; boats; sea salmon; fishing; nets; Flora; West Highland Salmon Fisheries

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This postcard photograph was taken on the shore by the pier at Portree, Isle of Skye. The 'Flora' is at anchor, possibly at the end of a days' fishing. This substantial vessel was built in 1895 in Tarbert, Loch Fyne. The boat was registered in 1931 to Donald MacLeod, Arnish, Raasay then sold to Charles and MacRae, Portree in 1940. The 'Flora' was reregistered BRD115 to MacDonald's in Staffin. <br /> <br /> It is uncertain whether this boat was used by the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd but this type of boat was commonly used for fishing in the area and similar boats were built by local boat builders. She was broken up in 1987.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />