Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Repairing salmon nets, Bayfield, Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_055
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13111
KEYWORDS
salmon nets
Bayfield
equipment
photograph
newspaper
salmon station
Repairing salmon nets, Bayfield, Portree

This photograph was taken at the Bayfield salmon fishing station in Portree, Isle of Skye. Despite the scene being staged to accompany a newspaper article on sea salmon fishing it is actually a very realistic part of the industry. The nets, which can become tangled, clogged with seaweed and torn, have to be lifted often for cleaning and repair. The workers pictured here are, from left to right:

Standing - Alex Nicolson (engineer on the 'Nereid'), Neil Angus Nicolson (Foreman, net man), Sandy "the Hearach" MacLeod

Kneeling - James Banks (owner, West Highland Salmon Fisheries), Peter "White Hen" Whiteford, and Donald MacLeod



West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Repairing salmon nets, Bayfield, Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1940s; 1950s

salmon nets; Bayfield; equipment; photograph; newspaper; salmon station

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph was taken at the Bayfield salmon fishing station in Portree, Isle of Skye. Despite the scene being staged to accompany a newspaper article on sea salmon fishing it is actually a very realistic part of the industry. The nets, which can become tangled, clogged with seaweed and torn, have to be lifted often for cleaning and repair. The workers pictured here are, from left to right:<br /> <br /> Standing - Alex Nicolson (engineer on the 'Nereid'), Neil Angus Nicolson (Foreman, net man), Sandy "the Hearach" MacLeod<br /> <br /> Kneeling - James Banks (owner, West Highland Salmon Fisheries), Peter "White Hen" Whiteford, and Donald MacLeod<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>