Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mending nets, Bayfield, Portree
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_056
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
CREATOR
James/David Banks
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13112
KEYWORDS
salmon
Portree
equipment
nets
rope
floats
fishing
repairing nets
Banks
Mending nets, Bayfield, Portree

This photograph was taken at the salmon fishing station at Bayfield, Portree. The crew are cleaning and repairing the nets, possibly getting ready for the fishing season, or as a routine part of keeping the equipment in good order throughout the season.

The nets would be spread out, supported on forked poles as seen in the foreground, or raised up by pulley so that the whole net was visible and repairs to any damaged areas could be done. Floats and large coils of rope would also be checked and replaced or repaired. From the left is Neil Angus Nicolson, (Foreman - Net Man) Portree, Sandy (the Hearach) MacLeod, David Banks, son of the lease owner James Banks, Peter (Grey Hen) Whiteford, and on the right Calum Matheson, Portree.



West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mending nets, Bayfield, Portree

INVERNESS: Portree

1940s; 1950s

salmon; Portree; equipment; nets; rope; floats; fishing; repairing nets; Banks

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

This photograph was taken at the salmon fishing station at Bayfield, Portree. The crew are cleaning and repairing the nets, possibly getting ready for the fishing season, or as a routine part of keeping the equipment in good order throughout the season. <br /> <br /> The nets would be spread out, supported on forked poles as seen in the foreground, or raised up by pulley so that the whole net was visible and repairs to any damaged areas could be done. Floats and large coils of rope would also be checked and replaced or repaired. From the left is Neil Angus Nicolson, (Foreman - Net Man) Portree, Sandy (the Hearach) MacLeod, David Banks, son of the lease owner James Banks, Peter (Grey Hen) Whiteford, and on the right Calum Matheson, Portree.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />