Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Staff and pupils, Plockton Secondary School
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_PHOTO_01261
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13137
KEYWORDS
school
pupils
village
education
Staff and pupils, Plockton Secondary School

Mary Macpherson (later Hudson) is pictured here, standing on the extreme left of the row third from the front, wearing a smart jacket over her polo-neck sweater. Mary was the daughter of Duncan Macpherson, the Pharmacist in Kyle of Lochalsh, who was a keen photographer and no doubt took this photograph of the school pupils and teachers. Mary was educated at Auchtertyre Primary and Plockton Secondary schools before graduating from Aberdeen University. She taught in Oxford and Switzerland but returned to Kyle when her mother took ill. After her mother died, Mary taught locally, including English at Plockton Secondary School, and was Headmistress at Dornie School.

The original school building in Plockton, situated in the centre of the village opposite the house pictured, was built by Alexander Ross in 1858 for Alexander Matheson, owner of the Lochalsh Estate. It was the Secondary School for the area, with Primary classes being taught in other parts of the village. A new school was built in 1964 and the original school became the Primary.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Staff and pupils, Plockton Secondary School

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

school; pupils; village; education

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Mary Macpherson (later Hudson) is pictured here, standing on the extreme left of the row third from the front, wearing a smart jacket over her polo-neck sweater. Mary was the daughter of Duncan Macpherson, the Pharmacist in Kyle of Lochalsh, who was a keen photographer and no doubt took this photograph of the school pupils and teachers. Mary was educated at Auchtertyre Primary and Plockton Secondary schools before graduating from Aberdeen University. She taught in Oxford and Switzerland but returned to Kyle when her mother took ill. After her mother died, Mary taught locally, including English at Plockton Secondary School, and was Headmistress at Dornie School.<br /> <br /> The original school building in Plockton, situated in the centre of the village opposite the house pictured, was built by Alexander Ross in 1858 for Alexander Matheson, owner of the Lochalsh Estate. It was the Secondary School for the area, with Primary classes being taught in other parts of the village. A new school was built in 1964 and the original school became the Primary. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>