Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Harbour St., Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_PHOTO_01263
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13139
KEYWORDS
village
people
church
tourism
Harbour St., Plockton

The photograph shows Harbour Street in Plockton in the early 1920s, curving round the shore of the sheltered inlet on Loch Carron. Most of these houses were built in the 19th century, and while some still appear to be thatched, others have had the thatch replaced with corrugated iron or slate. On the right, someone leans out of the upper storey window, ignored by the children in the street below. The little boy seems much more interested in the horse and cart which has just passed. The children and their mother may well be the photographer's family, Margaret Macpherson, Neil and Mary, who often accompanied Duncan Macpherson on his excursions from Kyle of Lochalsh.

The double-gabled building in the left background is the old Free Church on Innes Street which was built in 1845 but converted into flats in 1993. The picturesque village is now a popular tourist destination, with many of the houses second homes or providing self-catering accommodation.

Plockton was founded by the Earl of Seaforth in 1794 with a view to clearing his tenants from more fertile land, but the estate had to be sold to clear his debts. The location was recognised as being suitable for a fishing station during a survey for the British Society for the Recovery of Fisheries, and a village was planned with this in mind. The new owner Sir Hugh Innes followed up the plans in 1801 and created the village to accommodate his crofting tenants cleared from elsewhere on his estate.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Harbour St., Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

village; people; church; tourism

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The photograph shows Harbour Street in Plockton in the early 1920s, curving round the shore of the sheltered inlet on Loch Carron. Most of these houses were built in the 19th century, and while some still appear to be thatched, others have had the thatch replaced with corrugated iron or slate. On the right, someone leans out of the upper storey window, ignored by the children in the street below. The little boy seems much more interested in the horse and cart which has just passed. The children and their mother may well be the photographer's family, Margaret Macpherson, Neil and Mary, who often accompanied Duncan Macpherson on his excursions from Kyle of Lochalsh.<br /> <br /> The double-gabled building in the left background is the old Free Church on Innes Street which was built in 1845 but converted into flats in 1993. The picturesque village is now a popular tourist destination, with many of the houses second homes or providing self-catering accommodation.<br /> <br /> Plockton was founded by the Earl of Seaforth in 1794 with a view to clearing his tenants from more fertile land, but the estate had to be sold to clear his debts. The location was recognised as being suitable for a fishing station during a survey for the British Society for the Recovery of Fisheries, and a village was planned with this in mind. The new owner Sir Hugh Innes followed up the plans in 1801 and created the village to accommodate his crofting tenants cleared from elsewhere on his estate. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />