Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duncraig Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_PHOTO_01265
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13141
KEYWORDS
castle
mansion
estate
naval hospital
Duncraig Castle

Duncraig Castle was built for Sir Alexander Matheson (1805 - 1886) in 1866 after his house at Inverinate was destroyed by fire. The location, overlooking Loch Carron and the village of Plockton, adds to its impressive appearance. Sir Alexander owned much of Lochalsh at the time, having made a fortune in the Far East with Jardine, Matheson & Co.

His son Sir Kenneth Matheson sold part of the Lochalsh Estate to Sir Daniel Hamilton, an unusually benevolent landowner, who left the castle to the local County Council on his death in 1939. It was used as a Naval Hospital during WWII and as a college of Domestic Science for girls from 1945 until 1989. Thereafter the castle had a chequered story, occasionally used as a base for TV and film companies and suffering years of neglect while prolonged discussions were held as to its future. A gradual restoration was achieved by a family from the Midlands, the Dobsons, who bought the building in 2003 and were the subject of a television series following their attempts to live in the castle and with each other. The castle now (2011) functions as a guest house and wedding location.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duncraig Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

castle; mansion; estate; naval hospital

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Duncraig Castle was built for Sir Alexander Matheson (1805 - 1886) in 1866 after his house at Inverinate was destroyed by fire. The location, overlooking Loch Carron and the village of Plockton, adds to its impressive appearance. Sir Alexander owned much of Lochalsh at the time, having made a fortune in the Far East with Jardine, Matheson & Co. <br /> <br /> His son Sir Kenneth Matheson sold part of the Lochalsh Estate to Sir Daniel Hamilton, an unusually benevolent landowner, who left the castle to the local County Council on his death in 1939. It was used as a Naval Hospital during WWII and as a college of Domestic Science for girls from 1945 until 1989. Thereafter the castle had a chequered story, occasionally used as a base for TV and film companies and suffering years of neglect while prolonged discussions were held as to its future. A gradual restoration was achieved by a family from the Midlands, the Dobsons, who bought the building in 2003 and were the subject of a television series following their attempts to live in the castle and with each other. The castle now (2011) functions as a guest house and wedding location. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>