Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Armadale Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_PHOTO_01270
PLACENAME
Armadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13145
KEYWORDS
castle
mansion house
Sleat
clan
MacDonald
Armadale Castle

Clan Donald have had a presence on the island of Skye since the 15th century, and in Armadale since the 1650s. A mansion house built in the 1790s was extended by the renowned architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle, boasting grand public rooms, vaulted ceilings with intricate mouldings and a fine staircase with a stained glass window of Somerled, progenitor of the clan. The castle was set in landscaped grounds with a walled garden and fine driveway, within the extensive Macdonald estate. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building, but it was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The Macdonald family left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby and the building gradually deteriorated. The Macdonald Estate was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971, founded and supported by Clan Donald members worldwide, and for safety reasons what remained of the castle was dismantled in 1980, creating a sculptured ruin.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Armadale Castle

INVERNESS: Sleat

castle; mansion house; Sleat; clan; MacDonald

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

Clan Donald have had a presence on the island of Skye since the 15th century, and in Armadale since the 1650s. A mansion house built in the 1790s was extended by the renowned architect James Gillespie Graham in 1815 to form Armadale Castle, boasting grand public rooms, vaulted ceilings with intricate mouldings and a fine staircase with a stained glass window of Somerled, progenitor of the clan. The castle was set in landscaped grounds with a walled garden and fine driveway, within the extensive Macdonald estate. In 1855 a fire broke out and destroyed most of the original building, but it was partially replaced by the central block which exists today, to a design by David Bryce. The Macdonald family left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby and the building gradually deteriorated. The Macdonald Estate was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971, founded and supported by Clan Donald members worldwide, and for safety reasons what remained of the castle was dismantled in 1980, creating a sculptured ruin. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />