Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Car on ferry at Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_PHOTO_01280
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13154
KEYWORDS
ferry service
vehicle
vintage car
ferryman
Car on ferry at Kyle of Lochalsh

The turntable and ramps are secured on the ferry at Kyle of Lochalsh before it sets off across the strait to Kyleakin on Skye. This system of loading a single vehicle onto the open boat was in place for many years at Kyle, and was a great improvement on the rowing boat with planks of wood lashed to the gunwales in use previously. The expensive car pictured, with possibly the chauffeur at the wheel, and the owner peering cautiously from the window, could have queued for some time to make the crossing.

The ferry has been in place at Kyle for centuries. Alexander Smith gives a vivid account of using the route in 1864 in his book A Summer in Skye, arriving soaked in Kyleakin with his bags equally wet through, having been deposited unceremoniously in the water at the bottom of the leaking boat. As the volume of traffic increased with the arrival of the railway to Kyle in 1897, improved roads and more car ownership, so the ferries developed in capacity and frequency. A twenty-four hour service was eventually introduced, with two roll-on, roll-off ferries plying the route in the busy summer months. The service was discontinued when the Skye Bridge opened in October 1995.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Car on ferry at Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

ferry service; vehicle; vintage car; ferryman;

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Duncan Macpherson (photographs)

The turntable and ramps are secured on the ferry at Kyle of Lochalsh before it sets off across the strait to Kyleakin on Skye. This system of loading a single vehicle onto the open boat was in place for many years at Kyle, and was a great improvement on the rowing boat with planks of wood lashed to the gunwales in use previously. The expensive car pictured, with possibly the chauffeur at the wheel, and the owner peering cautiously from the window, could have queued for some time to make the crossing.<br /> <br /> The ferry has been in place at Kyle for centuries. Alexander Smith gives a vivid account of using the route in 1864 in his book A Summer in Skye, arriving soaked in Kyleakin with his bags equally wet through, having been deposited unceremoniously in the water at the bottom of the leaking boat. As the volume of traffic increased with the arrival of the railway to Kyle in 1897, improved roads and more car ownership, so the ferries developed in capacity and frequency. A twenty-four hour service was eventually introduced, with two roll-on, roll-off ferries plying the route in the busy summer months. The service was discontinued when the Skye Bridge opened in October 1995. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href= "mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com" >Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>