Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr

This map, from 1811, shows the townships of Harrapool (Harraple), Schullumus, Breakish and Ashik, with a part of the adjoining pasture.

In 1799 Lord Macdonald commissioned John Blackadder to survey his estate and to write a report about it. Blackadder returned 10 years later when Lord Macdonald had decided to change the runrig system on his estate to crofting. Blackadder produced a series of maps usually with at least one map for each township.

Place names are spelt differently in every map and document. The surveyors and mapmakers did not have Gaelic so they took down the names phonetically. Similarly the estate clerks often spelt names phonetically as there was no official standardisation until the Ordnance Survey tried to do this at the end of the 19th century.

Clan Donald Library's Pocket Museum is a collection of notes, maps, photographs, illustrations and extracts from the archives which give an insight in to life on a highland estate. Clan Donald Library is located in a purpose built museum, the Museum of the Isles, in the grounds of Armadale Castle. The castle is situated in the heart of an estate, once part of the traditional lands of Clan Donald, on the Sleat Peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Harrapool and surrounding areas 1811 John Blackadder Map

INVERNESS: Strath

1810s

Pocket Museum; museums; Clan Donald Library; libraries; estates; Macdonalds; Skye; Armadale; Sleat; maps; crofts; crofting; townships; Harrapool; Harraple; Schullumus; Breakish; Ashik; Blackadder; runrig; zoomable

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Pocket Museum (maps)

This map, from 1811, shows the townships of Harrapool (Harraple), Schullumus, Breakish and Ashik, with a part of the adjoining pasture.<br /> <br /> In 1799 Lord Macdonald commissioned John Blackadder to survey his estate and to write a report about it. Blackadder returned 10 years later when Lord Macdonald had decided to change the runrig system on his estate to crofting. Blackadder produced a series of maps usually with at least one map for each township. <br /> <br /> Place names are spelt differently in every map and document. The surveyors and mapmakers did not have Gaelic so they took down the names phonetically. Similarly the estate clerks often spelt names phonetically as there was no official standardisation until the Ordnance Survey tried to do this at the end of the 19th century.<br /> <br /> Clan Donald Library's Pocket Museum is a collection of notes, maps, photographs, illustrations and extracts from the archives which give an insight in to life on a highland estate. Clan Donald Library is located in a purpose built museum, the Museum of the Isles, in the grounds of Armadale Castle. The castle is situated in the heart of an estate, once part of the traditional lands of Clan Donald, on the Sleat Peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.