Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmeanach Map - Matthew Stobie 1766 - 2
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_POCKETMUSEUM_043
PLACENAME
Balmeanach
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
DATE OF IMAGE
1766
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
13189
KEYWORDS
Pocket Museum
museums
Clan Donald Library
libraries
estates
Macdonalds
Skye
Armadale
Sleat
maps
crofts
crofting
townships
runrig
Stobie
Balmeanach
zoomable

This map, from 1766, shows detail of the township of Balmeanach.

In the 1760s Sir James Macdonald, the chief of Clan Macdonald, commissioned a surveyor from the Borders, Matthew Stobie, to produce a map of his whole estate. Over two years, Stobie produced five area maps. They were made by sticking large sheets of paper onto a backing piece of linen to produce a large area on which to draw and paint the maps.

Stobie shows the boundaries of each township, the area of cultivated ground and also buildings. The runrig system of farming by a group of joint tenants was the norm at this date. The pattern of the cultivated ground show this very well. Tenants' houses were usually grouped together. This enlargement of the settlement at Balmaeanach illustrates this.

Place names are spelt differently in every map and document. The surveyors and mapmakers did not have Gaelic so they took down the names phonetically. Similarly the estate clerks often spelt names phonetically as there was no official standardisation until the Ordnance Survey tried to do this at the end of the 19th century.

Clan Donald Library's Pocket Museum is a collection of notes, maps, photographs, illustrations and extracts from the archives which give an insight in to life on a highland estate. Clan Donald Library is located in a purpose built museum, the Museum of the Isles, in the grounds of Armadale Castle. The castle is situated in the heart of an estate, once part of the traditional lands of Clan Donald, on the Sleat Peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmeanach Map - Matthew Stobie 1766 - 2

INVERNESS: Portree

1760s

Pocket Museum; museums; Clan Donald Library; libraries; estates; Macdonalds; Skye; Armadale; Sleat; maps; crofts; crofting; townships; runrig; Stobie; Balmeanach; zoomable

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Pocket Museum (maps)

This map, from 1766, shows detail of the township of Balmeanach.<br /> <br /> In the 1760s Sir James Macdonald, the chief of Clan Macdonald, commissioned a surveyor from the Borders, Matthew Stobie, to produce a map of his whole estate. Over two years, Stobie produced five area maps. They were made by sticking large sheets of paper onto a backing piece of linen to produce a large area on which to draw and paint the maps. <br /> <br /> Stobie shows the boundaries of each township, the area of cultivated ground and also buildings. The runrig system of farming by a group of joint tenants was the norm at this date. The pattern of the cultivated ground show this very well. Tenants' houses were usually grouped together. This enlargement of the settlement at Balmaeanach illustrates this.<br /> <br /> Place names are spelt differently in every map and document. The surveyors and mapmakers did not have Gaelic so they took down the names phonetically. Similarly the estate clerks often spelt names phonetically as there was no official standardisation until the Ordnance Survey tried to do this at the end of the 19th century.<br /> <br /> Clan Donald Library's Pocket Museum is a collection of notes, maps, photographs, illustrations and extracts from the archives which give an insight in to life on a highland estate. Clan Donald Library is located in a purpose built museum, the Museum of the Isles, in the grounds of Armadale Castle. The castle is situated in the heart of an estate, once part of the traditional lands of Clan Donald, on the Sleat Peninsula, in the south of the Isle of Skye.