Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Promontory Castle, Mouth of Berriedale Water, Latheron
EXTERNAL ID
HC_ARCH2_1981-82_81061016
PLACENAME
Latheron
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
The Highland Council Archaeology Unit
ASSET ID
13220
KEYWORDS
castles
Promontory Castle, Mouth of Berriedale Water, Latheron

The ruined remains of Berriedale Castle lie on a promontory which extends north into the mouth of the Langdale Water a quarter-mile (0.4 km) southeast of Berriedale in Caithness.

In descending from the Ord of Caithness, Berriedale Castle was probably the first medieval fortification to be encountered, sitting on this tongue of rock projecting across the mouth of the Berriedale River. Berriedale Castle was developed from a 14th Century stronghold of Sir Reginald Cheyne who possessed so many of these structures in Caithness at that time that his influence on the county was very considerable. There may have been an even earlier fortification on the site.

The castle was established by the Cheynes but passed through marriage to the Sutherlands and then the Oliphants who held it until it was disponed to the Earl of Caithness in 1606. The Lairds of Berriedale were also the Lairds of Old Wick Castle and they possessed about a quarter of the lands of Caithness at the height of their power.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Promontory Castle, Mouth of Berriedale Water, Latheron

CAITHNESS: Latheron

1980s

castles

The Highland Council Archaeology Unit

The ruined remains of Berriedale Castle lie on a promontory which extends north into the mouth of the Langdale Water a quarter-mile (0.4 km) southeast of Berriedale in Caithness.<br /> <br /> In descending from the Ord of Caithness, Berriedale Castle was probably the first medieval fortification to be encountered, sitting on this tongue of rock projecting across the mouth of the Berriedale River. Berriedale Castle was developed from a 14th Century stronghold of Sir Reginald Cheyne who possessed so many of these structures in Caithness at that time that his influence on the county was very considerable. There may have been an even earlier fortification on the site.<br /> <br /> The castle was established by the Cheynes but passed through marriage to the Sutherlands and then the Oliphants who held it until it was disponed to the Earl of Caithness in 1606. The Lairds of Berriedale were also the Lairds of Old Wick Castle and they possessed about a quarter of the lands of Caithness at the height of their power.