Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Clach Chairidh - a Pictish Class 1 Symbol Stone at Edderton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_ARCH2_1981-82_81071022
PLACENAME
Edderton
DISTRICT
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Edderton
SOURCE
The Highland Council Archaeology Unit
ASSET ID
13227
KEYWORDS
standing stones
Picts
Clach Chairidh - a Pictish Class 1 Symbol Stone at Edderton

Sculpted face of a Pictish Class 1 Symbol Stone at Edderton

An unhewn pillar of red sandstone narrowing to a point at the top - hence the local name 'Clach Biorach' - 'the sharp stone'. Sculptured on one side only, it is 10ft 3ins high by 3ft 6ins wide and 1ft 6ins thick at base (Allen and Anderson, 1903).

The stone bears a fish symbol over a double-disc and Z-rod. Supposed to mark the grave of a Danish prince killed in nearby battle.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Clach Chairidh - a Pictish Class 1 Symbol Stone at Edderton

ROSS: Edderton

standing stones; Picts

The Highland Council Archaeology Unit

Sculpted face of a Pictish Class 1 Symbol Stone at Edderton<br /> <br /> An unhewn pillar of red sandstone narrowing to a point at the top - hence the local name 'Clach Biorach' - 'the sharp stone'. Sculptured on one side only, it is 10ft 3ins high by 3ft 6ins wide and 1ft 6ins thick at base (Allen and Anderson, 1903). <br /> <br /> The stone bears a fish symbol over a double-disc and Z-rod. Supposed to mark the grave of a Danish prince killed in nearby battle.