Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose Cathedral and Rosemarkie
EXTERNAL ID
HC_ARCH3_1983-84_84051019
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
The Highland Council Archaeology Unit
ASSET ID
13246
KEYWORDS
cathedrals
ruins
Fortrose Cathedral and Rosemarkie

General view of Fortrose Cathedral from NNW showing artistic branched fringing on right hand side of frame

Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved here from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century.

Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses.

All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house. Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch; Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545; and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507.

The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.

The Cathedral was the scene of the trial of Coinneach Odhar Fiosaiche, the Brahan Seer

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose Cathedral and Rosemarkie

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1980s

cathedrals; ruins

The Highland Council Archaeology Unit

General view of Fortrose Cathedral from NNW showing artistic branched fringing on right hand side of frame<br /> <br /> Fortrose Cathedral was established by Bishop Robert in the 13th century, after the Bishops of Ross moved here from Rosemarkie. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. <br /> <br /> Already in a state of disrepair after the Reformation, much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses.<br /> <br /> All that remains are the south aisle of the nave and the nearby sacristy (undercroft) of the chapter house. Within the aisles are three arched tombs: Euphemia, Countess of Ross, who was forced to marry Alexander Stewart, the Wolf of Badenoch; Bishop Robert Cairncross, who died in 1545; and Bishop John Fraser, who died in 1507. <br /> <br /> The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Seaforth Mackenzie family and a memorial, built c1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.<br /> <br /> The Cathedral was the scene of the trial of Coinneach Odhar Fiosaiche, the Brahan Seer