Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunbeath Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HC_ARCH3_1983-84_84071015
PLACENAME
Dunbeath
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
The Highland Council Archaeology Unit
ASSET ID
13250
KEYWORDS
castles
Dunbeath Castle

Dunbeath Castle is a castle on the east coast of Caithness in the Scottish Highlands.

The castle has stood on the rocky peninsula at Dunbeath since 1428 when the lands belonged to the Earl of Caithness. After passing through the hands of the Innes family, it became the property of the Clan Sinclair of Geanies through the marriage of the daughter of Alexander Sutherland to the first Sinclair Earl of Caithness.

The Sinclairs replaced the existing structure with a four-storey tower house that forms part of the current castle in 1620. In 1650 Dunbeath was attacked and captured (along with Lady Sinclair) by James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose and not returned to the Sinclairs until the defeat of Montrose at the Battle of Carbisdale in 1650.

The castle was extensively remodelled in the 17th century by Sir William Sinclair and again in 1853 and 1881. In 1945 after 325 years of occupation by the Sinclair Family, the castle was sold.

The castle remains a private residence today and is not open to the public

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunbeath Castle

CAITHNESS: Latheron

1980s

castles

The Highland Council Archaeology Unit

Dunbeath Castle is a castle on the east coast of Caithness in the Scottish Highlands.<br /> <br /> The castle has stood on the rocky peninsula at Dunbeath since 1428 when the lands belonged to the Earl of Caithness. After passing through the hands of the Innes family, it became the property of the Clan Sinclair of Geanies through the marriage of the daughter of Alexander Sutherland to the first Sinclair Earl of Caithness. <br /> <br /> The Sinclairs replaced the existing structure with a four-storey tower house that forms part of the current castle in 1620. In 1650 Dunbeath was attacked and captured (along with Lady Sinclair) by James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose and not returned to the Sinclairs until the defeat of Montrose at the Battle of Carbisdale in 1650.<br /> <br /> The castle was extensively remodelled in the 17th century by Sir William Sinclair and again in 1853 and 1881. In 1945 after 325 years of occupation by the Sinclair Family, the castle was sold. <br /> <br /> The castle remains a private residence today and is not open to the public