Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunbeath Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HC_ARCH3_1983-84_84074009
PLACENAME
Dunbeath
DISTRICT
Caithness - Southern
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Latheron
DATE OF IMAGE
1984
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
The Highland Council Archaeology Unit
ASSET ID
13259
KEYWORDS
Dunbeath Castle
Caithness
castle
Sinclair
Earl of Caithness
Dunbeath Castle

An aerial view of Dunbeath Castle in Caithness. A castle was first built on the site in 1428 under the Earls of Caithness. In 1620, the castle passed to Clan Sinclair through marriage and was rebuilt into a four-storey tower house, forming the basis of the current structure. The castle was extensively remodelled in the subsequent years and was finally sold by Clan Sinclair, after 350 years of possession, to John Avery in 1945. It remains a private residence.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunbeath Castle

CAITHNESS: Latheron

1980s

Dunbeath Castle; Caithness; castle; Sinclair; Earl of Caithness

The Highland Council Archaeology Unit

An aerial view of Dunbeath Castle in Caithness. A castle was first built on the site in 1428 under the Earls of Caithness. In 1620, the castle passed to Clan Sinclair through marriage and was rebuilt into a four-storey tower house, forming the basis of the current structure. The castle was extensively remodelled in the subsequent years and was finally sold by Clan Sinclair, after 350 years of possession, to John Avery in 1945. It remains a private residence.