Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ordnance Plan of Inverness, 1869, Moray Firth, Ronach, Cridhe an Uisge
EXTERNAL ID
HC_INVERNESS_1869_003
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1869
PERIOD
1860s
CREATOR
Ordnance Survey
SOURCE
The Highland Council, Property & Architectural Service
ASSET ID
13395
KEYWORDS
maps of Inverness

This is Sheet IV.9.25 of the Ordnance Plan of Inverness (1869). It shows a section of the Moray Firth above Inverness.

This sheet forms part of the Ordnance Plan of Inverness, surveyed in 1868 and published in 1869. The scale is 1:500 which was adopted from 1855 and allowed for any feature over six inches wide to be shown, including lamp-posts, trees, fire hydrants, water taps, manholes, steps, pavements and garden paths. Ground floor layouts of public buildings, such as churches, town halls and prisons, were also shown. The Inverness plan has coloured maps: carmine (red) for stone or brick buildings; grey for wooden or metal buildings; sienna (yellow-brown) for roads; and blue for water.

Founded in 1791, the Ordnance Survey concentrated first on southern England before moving on to Ireland in the 1820s and northern England and Scotland in the 1840s. Between 1847 and 1895 a total of sixty-one Scottish towns were mapped.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ordnance Plan of Inverness, 1869, Moray Firth, Ronach, Cridhe an Uisge

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1860s

maps of Inverness;

The Highland Council, Property & Architectural Service

Ordnance Survey of Inverness, 1869

This is Sheet IV.9.25 of the Ordnance Plan of Inverness (1869). It shows a section of the Moray Firth above Inverness.<br /> <br /> This sheet forms part of the Ordnance Plan of Inverness, surveyed in 1868 and published in 1869. The scale is 1:500 which was adopted from 1855 and allowed for any feature over six inches wide to be shown, including lamp-posts, trees, fire hydrants, water taps, manholes, steps, pavements and garden paths. Ground floor layouts of public buildings, such as churches, town halls and prisons, were also shown. The Inverness plan has coloured maps: carmine (red) for stone or brick buildings; grey for wooden or metal buildings; sienna (yellow-brown) for roads; and blue for water. <br /> <br /> Founded in 1791, the Ordnance Survey concentrated first on southern England before moving on to Ireland in the 1820s and northern England and Scotland in the 1840s. Between 1847 and 1895 a total of sixty-one Scottish towns were mapped.