Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - record of catches, 1886-1895
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_087
PERIOD
1880s; 1890s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
1342
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
commercial fishing
salmon fishing
trout fishing
net fishing
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - record of catches, 1886-1895

This document, included with the West Highland Salmon Fisheries records, refers to sea salmon fishing in the south of the Isle of Skye for the years 1886 to 1895. The record notes the number of salmon, grilse and trout caught during these years. An accompanying document notes that the fishing was divided between two areas: Sleat which had 23 boats and MacLeods which had 29 boats. The catches were recorded according to the fishing stations located in the two areas. MacLeods included Rhue, Eynort, Talisker, Scavaig, Soa (sic) Island and Fiscavaig while Sleat included Isle Ornsay, Armadale, Point of Sleat, Knock and Loch Eishort.

To compare these with later records, see HCD_DAVIDBANKS_121


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - record of catches, 1886-1895

1880s; 1890s

fishing industry; commercial fishing; salmon fishing; trout fishing; net fishing

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd (documents)

This document, included with the West Highland Salmon Fisheries records, refers to sea salmon fishing in the south of the Isle of Skye for the years 1886 to 1895. The record notes the number of salmon, grilse and trout caught during these years. An accompanying document notes that the fishing was divided between two areas: Sleat which had 23 boats and MacLeods which had 29 boats. The catches were recorded according to the fishing stations located in the two areas. MacLeods included Rhue, Eynort, Talisker, Scavaig, Soa (sic) Island and Fiscavaig while Sleat included Isle Ornsay, Armadale, Point of Sleat, Knock and Loch Eishort. <br /> <br /> To compare these with later records, see HCD_DAVIDBANKS_121<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>