Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Priory (west end of nave)
EXTERNAL ID
HC_INV_BEAULYPRIORY
PLACENAME
Beauly; Beauly Priory
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13444
KEYWORDS
priories
Beauly Priory (west end of nave)

This photograph shows the west end of the nave at Beauly Priory. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation. In the 1650s Cromwell's troops removed some of the stone to build the fort at Inverness. In 1901 the north transept was partly restored as a burial aisle for the Mackenzies of Kintail

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Priory (west end of nave)

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

priories

The Highland Council

Highland Council: Inverness Area (1990s)

This photograph shows the west end of the nave at Beauly Priory. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation. In the 1650s Cromwell's troops removed some of the stone to build the fort at Inverness. In 1901 the north transept was partly restored as a burial aisle for the Mackenzies of Kintail