Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Station Square, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_INV_BSIB_FLOWERS_009
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13448
KEYWORDS
stations
squares
railways
hotels
monuments
statues
sculptures
Station Square, Inverness

This is a view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness. The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands, with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen; west to Kyle of Lochalsh; and north to Wick. The original entrance to the station was designed by Joseph Mitchell but was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by the present less architecturally pleasing structure.

Next to the train station can be seen the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style to a design by Matthews and Lawrie and completed in 1855. The original hotel entrance was on Academy Street but in 1898 an extension to the hotel was built on the site of the former south wing of the station façade and the new entrance was located in Station Square. The Station Hotel was the scene of a little excitement in the early days of World War 1 when two German spies were discovered and arrested there. The hotel was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000.

In the centre of the square is the Cameron Monument. The statue, which shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet, commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled in 1893 by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron, and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G Wade of London.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Station Square, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

stations; squares; railways; hotels; monuments; statues; sculptures

The Highland Council

Highland Council: Inverness Area (1990s)

This is a view of Station Square, taken from Academy Street in Inverness. The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands, with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen; west to Kyle of Lochalsh; and north to Wick. The original entrance to the station was designed by Joseph Mitchell but was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by the present less architecturally pleasing structure.<br /> <br /> Next to the train station can be seen the Station Hotel, built in the Italianate style to a design by Matthews and Lawrie and completed in 1855. The original hotel entrance was on Academy Street but in 1898 an extension to the hotel was built on the site of the former south wing of the station façade and the new entrance was located in Station Square. The Station Hotel was the scene of a little excitement in the early days of World War 1 when two German spies were discovered and arrested there. The hotel was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000.<br /> <br /> In the centre of the square is the Cameron Monument. The statue, which shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet, commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled in 1893 by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron, and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G Wade of London.