Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Victorian Market, Inverness - view of clock area
EXTERNAL ID
HC_INV_FACILITIES_001
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13462
KEYWORDS
markets
clocks
shopping
Victorian Market, Inverness - view of clock area

This view of the Victorian Market shows the central area where the clock is situated. The original indoor market was between Union Street and Queensgate but it was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street, Union Street and Queensgate, the new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows, concerts and meetings. The tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market houses a varied selection of shops.

It is thought the clock was made by Alexander Dallas, a clock and watchmaker of Inverness. His shop was located at 36 Church Street, Inverness. One of his sons founded Dallas the Jewellers in Nairn. Another son was Donald Dallas, a well known local actor.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Victorian Market, Inverness - view of clock area

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

markets; clocks; shopping

The Highland Council

Highland Council: Inverness Area (1990s)

This view of the Victorian Market shows the central area where the clock is situated. The original indoor market was between Union Street and Queensgate but it was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street, Union Street and Queensgate, the new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows, concerts and meetings. The tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market houses a varied selection of shops.<br /> <br /> It is thought the clock was made by Alexander Dallas, a clock and watchmaker of Inverness. His shop was located at 36 Church Street, Inverness. One of his sons founded Dallas the Jewellers in Nairn. Another son was Donald Dallas, a well known local actor.