Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Northern Meeting Park, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_INV_FACILITIES_008
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13468
KEYWORDS
parks
bagpipe
bagpipes
cathedrals
Northern Meeting Park, Inverness

The Society of Northern Meeting was founded in June 1788 to organise social activities such as balls, hunts and piping competitions. In 1822, the Society gave financial help for a Highland Games held at Dunain Croy. In 1835, sports and games were held at Dochfour and two years later they moved to the Longman and were opened to the public.

The Northern Meeting's own park in Ardross Street was opened in 1864 and the Games were held there for the next 70 years. However, they ceased with the onset of World War 2 and in 1946 the Northern Meeting Park was sold to Inverness Burgh Council. Today, the revived Highland Games are held in Bught Park. The famous Northern Meeting Piping Competition is still held annually in September.

On the right of the photograph can be seen the twin towers of St Andrew's Cathedral, designed by Alexander Ross and built between 1866 and 1869. Original plans for the cathedral had included two 100-foot spires, a cloister and a much longer chancel, but a lack of funding meant they could not be built.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Northern Meeting Park, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

parks; bagpipe; bagpipes; cathedrals

The Highland Council

Highland Council: Inverness Area (1990s)

The Society of Northern Meeting was founded in June 1788 to organise social activities such as balls, hunts and piping competitions. In 1822, the Society gave financial help for a Highland Games held at Dunain Croy. In 1835, sports and games were held at Dochfour and two years later they moved to the Longman and were opened to the public. <br /> <br /> The Northern Meeting's own park in Ardross Street was opened in 1864 and the Games were held there for the next 70 years. However, they ceased with the onset of World War 2 and in 1946 the Northern Meeting Park was sold to Inverness Burgh Council. Today, the revived Highland Games are held in Bught Park. The famous Northern Meeting Piping Competition is still held annually in September.<br /> <br /> On the right of the photograph can be seen the twin towers of St Andrew's Cathedral, designed by Alexander Ross and built between 1866 and 1869. Original plans for the cathedral had included two 100-foot spires, a cloister and a much longer chancel, but a lack of funding meant they could not be built.