Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_MISC_IMAGES_010
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2 February 1994
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13551
KEYWORDS
streets
steeples
tolbooths
Bridge Street, Inverness

This photograph shows Bridge Street in Inverness, looking south to the River Ness. On the right is the entrance to Church Street, with the lower part of the Town Steeple located on the corner. The steeple is all that remains of a tollbooth building erected in 1791 at a total cost of £3,400. Built by the architect William Sibbald of Edinburgh, the steeple is 130 feet high and although badly twisted by an earthquake in 1816, it was straightened some years later.

This area of the town centre was reconstructed during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Developments included the demolition of the old Ness Suspension Bridge and the construction of a replacement concrete structure. The buildings on the left side of the street were also demolished and the road was widened before new concrete buildings were erected. Many of the buildings on the right side of the street were demolished later in the 1960s to make room for the headquarters of the Highlands and Islands Development Board (HIDB).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

streets; steeples; tolbooths;

The Highland Council

This photograph shows Bridge Street in Inverness, looking south to the River Ness. On the right is the entrance to Church Street, with the lower part of the Town Steeple located on the corner. The steeple is all that remains of a tollbooth building erected in 1791 at a total cost of £3,400. Built by the architect William Sibbald of Edinburgh, the steeple is 130 feet high and although badly twisted by an earthquake in 1816, it was straightened some years later.<br /> <br /> This area of the town centre was reconstructed during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Developments included the demolition of the old Ness Suspension Bridge and the construction of a replacement concrete structure. The buildings on the left side of the street were also demolished and the road was widened before new concrete buildings were erected. Many of the buildings on the right side of the street were demolished later in the 1960s to make room for the headquarters of the Highlands and Islands Development Board (HIDB).