Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Canoeing on the River Ness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_MISC_IMAGES_016
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13556
KEYWORDS
canoe
canoes
rivers
bridges
castles
courthouses
jails
courtrooms
Canoeing on the River Ness

This photograph of canoeists on the River Ness looks north towards the city centre. The Infirmary Bridge can be seen on the left of the photo and elevated to its right, the outline of Inverness Castle. There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.

The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the courthouse became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Canoeing on the River Ness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

canoe; canoes; rivers; bridges; castles; courthouses; jails; courtrooms

The Highland Council

This photograph of canoeists on the River Ness looks north towards the city centre. The Infirmary Bridge can be seen on the left of the photo and elevated to its right, the outline of Inverness Castle. There has been a castle on this site from the 12th century. In the ensuing 500 years it was destroyed and rebuilt on several occasions.<br /> <br /> The southern end of the present castle, the courthouse, dates from 1833-6 with the northern section being added as a jail in 1848. In 1901, after the building of a new jail at Porterfield, that part of the castle became the headquarters of the Inverness-shire Police whilst the courthouse became the Council Chamber of Inverness-shire County Council. After local government reorganisation in the 1970s it became the District Court-room.