Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Square, Beauly
EXTERNAL ID
HC_MISC_IMAGES_017
PLACENAME
Beauly
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13557
KEYWORDS
memorials
squares
villages
priories
church
churches
monastery
monasteries
monastic
Fraser
Lovats
The Square, Beauly

This photograph shows cherry trees in blossom beside a memorial to the Lovat Scouts at the east end of the main square in the village of Beauly. Beauly lies 12 miles (19 km) west of Inverness, at the mouth of the River Beauly. The village grew up around Beauly Priory, which was founded around 1230. The modern-day Square was laid out in the 1840s by the Frasers of Lovat.

The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands. According to popular belief, the name came from a comment she made during her visit.

The memorial to the Lovat Scouts was unveiled on Wednesday 21 December 1905 by the Mackintosh of Mackintosh, the Lord-Lieutenant of the county. The monument is 50 feet high and has 4 panels. One panel has the inscription "Erected by the Lovat tenantry and feuars of the Aird and Fort Augustus districts to commemorate the raising of the Lovat Scouts for service in South Africa by Simon Joseph, 18th Lord Lovat, C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O., who desired to show the martial spirit of their forefathers still animates the Highlanders of today, and whose confidence was justified by the success in the field of the gallant corps whose enterprise was due to his loyalty and patriotism - A.D. 1905."

Another panel bears names of the officers and the three contingents of the Lovat Scouts, and a third panel lists the 23 officers, non-commissioned officers and men who died either in action or from wounds or disease. Depicted on the fourth panel in bronze relief is a scout standing by his horse; an officer crouched beside him spies out the land.

The Lovat Scouts distinguished themselves in South Africa and in both World Wars.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Square, Beauly

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1990s

memorials; squares; villages; priories; church; churches; monastery; monasteries; monastic; Fraser; Lovats

The Highland Council

This photograph shows cherry trees in blossom beside a memorial to the Lovat Scouts at the east end of the main square in the village of Beauly. Beauly lies 12 miles (19 km) west of Inverness, at the mouth of the River Beauly. The village grew up around Beauly Priory, which was founded around 1230. The modern-day Square was laid out in the 1840s by the Frasers of Lovat.<br /> <br /> The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands. According to popular belief, the name came from a comment she made during her visit.<br /> <br /> The memorial to the Lovat Scouts was unveiled on Wednesday 21 December 1905 by the Mackintosh of Mackintosh, the Lord-Lieutenant of the county. The monument is 50 feet high and has 4 panels. One panel has the inscription "Erected by the Lovat tenantry and feuars of the Aird and Fort Augustus districts to commemorate the raising of the Lovat Scouts for service in South Africa by Simon Joseph, 18th Lord Lovat, C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O., who desired to show the martial spirit of their forefathers still animates the Highlanders of today, and whose confidence was justified by the success in the field of the gallant corps whose enterprise was due to his loyalty and patriotism - A.D. 1905."<br /> <br /> Another panel bears names of the officers and the three contingents of the Lovat Scouts, and a third panel lists the 23 officers, non-commissioned officers and men who died either in action or from wounds or disease. Depicted on the fourth panel in bronze relief is a scout standing by his horse; an officer crouched beside him spies out the land. <br /> <br /> The Lovat Scouts distinguished themselves in South Africa and in both World Wars.