Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balnain House, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_MISC_IMAGES_022
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13558
KEYWORDS
mansion
mansions
Balnain House, Inverness

This photograph shows Balnain House on Huntly Street beside the River Ness. Above the main entrance are the words 'Balnain House: Home of Highland Music'. Balnain House was restored in 1993 and used as a music heritage centre between then and 2001, when it was forced to close through lack of funding.

Balnain House was built in the Georgian style by a merchant in 1726. During the Battle of Culloden in 1746 it served as a field hospital for the Duke of Cumberland's troops and in the 1880s the Ordnance Survey used it as their Highland base. It now houses the regional headquarters of the National Trust for Scotland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balnain House, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

mansion; mansions

The Highland Council

This photograph shows Balnain House on Huntly Street beside the River Ness. Above the main entrance are the words 'Balnain House: Home of Highland Music'. Balnain House was restored in 1993 and used as a music heritage centre between then and 2001, when it was forced to close through lack of funding.<br /> <br /> Balnain House was built in the Georgian style by a merchant in 1726. During the Battle of Culloden in 1746 it served as a field hospital for the Duke of Cumberland's troops and in the 1880s the Ordnance Survey used it as their Highland base. It now houses the regional headquarters of the National Trust for Scotland.