Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Town House viewed from Bridge Street
EXTERNAL ID
HC_MISC_IMAGES_024
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13560
KEYWORDS
town hall
town halls
streets
Inverness Town House viewed from Bridge Street

Inverness Town House sits on the corner of Castle Street and Bridge Street. Designed by the architects Matthews and Lawrie to replace an earlier building, it was built between 1878 and 1882 of local sandstone. Many portraits of local historical figures hang within its walls. The building was the scene of an historic meeting of the British Cabinet in September 1921. This was the first Cabinet meeting of the British Government ever held outside London.

The Town House stands in stark contrast to the concrete buildings next to it. Much of the Bridge Street area was reconstructed during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Developments included the demolition of the old Ness Suspension Bridge and the construction of a replacement concrete structure. The buildings on the south side of the street were also demolished and the road was widened before new concrete buildings were erected. Many of the buildings on the north side of the street were demolished later in the 1960s to make room for the headquarters of the Highlands and Islands Development Board (HIDB).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Town House viewed from Bridge Street

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1990s

town hall; town halls; streets

The Highland Council

Inverness Town House sits on the corner of Castle Street and Bridge Street. Designed by the architects Matthews and Lawrie to replace an earlier building, it was built between 1878 and 1882 of local sandstone. Many portraits of local historical figures hang within its walls. The building was the scene of an historic meeting of the British Cabinet in September 1921. This was the first Cabinet meeting of the British Government ever held outside London. <br /> <br /> The Town House stands in stark contrast to the concrete buildings next to it. Much of the Bridge Street area was reconstructed during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Developments included the demolition of the old Ness Suspension Bridge and the construction of a replacement concrete structure. The buildings on the south side of the street were also demolished and the road was widened before new concrete buildings were erected. Many of the buildings on the north side of the street were demolished later in the 1960s to make room for the headquarters of the Highlands and Islands Development Board (HIDB).