Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort Augustus Abbey
EXTERNAL ID
HC_MISC_IMAGES_027
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
13563
KEYWORDS
abbeys
churches
monasteries
forts
schools
monk
Fort Augustus Abbey

This photograph shows a view of the church and monastery at Fort Augustus Abbey. It was previously the site of a military fort built by General Wade after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The fort was named after one of George II's sons, Prince William Augustus, who was later to become the Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden.

The fort at Fort Augustus was purchased from the government by the 14th Lord Lovat in 1867 for use as a shooting lodge. His successor leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines who, in 1876, began converting the buildings into an abbey, school and monastery. The original reconstruction and extension was designed by Joseph Hansom (of Hansom cab fame) with further buildings added by Peter Paul Pugin, Reginald Fairlie, Charles Gray and William Watt Allan. Monks remained at the abbey until as recently as 1998.

Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cille Chuimein.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort Augustus Abbey

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1990s

abbeys; churches; monasteries; forts; schools; monk

The Highland Council

This photograph shows a view of the church and monastery at Fort Augustus Abbey. It was previously the site of a military fort built by General Wade after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The fort was named after one of George II's sons, Prince William Augustus, who was later to become the Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden.<br /> <br /> The fort at Fort Augustus was purchased from the government by the 14th Lord Lovat in 1867 for use as a shooting lodge. His successor leased the buildings to the Monastic Order of Benedictines who, in 1876, began converting the buildings into an abbey, school and monastery. The original reconstruction and extension was designed by Joseph Hansom (of Hansom cab fame) with further buildings added by Peter Paul Pugin, Reginald Fairlie, Charles Gray and William Watt Allan. Monks remained at the abbey until as recently as 1998.<br /> <br /> Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cille Chuimein.