Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lewis War Memorial
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_006_0137
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
DATE OF IMAGE
January 1968
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13627
KEYWORDS
memorials
monuments
wars
1st World War
World War 1
2nd World War
World War 2
Lewis War Memorial

A public meeting was held in Stornoway in January 1920 to discuss raising money for a memorial to those killed in the First World War and the Iolaire disaster. Mr JH Gall of Inverness won the design competition and work was completed in 1924. The monument stands at over 26 metres tall on Cnoc nan Uan, the highest point in Stornoway. There is an entrance hall and four upper chambers, one for each parish in Lewis. In each of the chambers the names of the fallen are inscribed on bronze plaques. Further plaques were added for those who were killed during the Second World War.

In 1975 the monument was closed to the public due to erosion. Despite subsequent restoration efforts the building remains closed to the public. The bronze plaques, however, have now been mounted on granite stones outside the memorial and a seating area added.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lewis War Memorial

ROSS: Stornoway

1960s

memorials; monuments; wars; 1st World War; World War 1; 2nd World War; World War 2

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

A public meeting was held in Stornoway in January 1920 to discuss raising money for a memorial to those killed in the First World War and the Iolaire disaster. Mr JH Gall of Inverness won the design competition and work was completed in 1924. The monument stands at over 26 metres tall on Cnoc nan Uan, the highest point in Stornoway. There is an entrance hall and four upper chambers, one for each parish in Lewis. In each of the chambers the names of the fallen are inscribed on bronze plaques. Further plaques were added for those who were killed during the Second World War.<br /> <br /> In 1975 the monument was closed to the public due to erosion. Despite subsequent restoration efforts the building remains closed to the public. The bronze plaques, however, have now been mounted on granite stones outside the memorial and a seating area added.