Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_017F_0321
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1969
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13652
KEYWORDS
road
village
hotel
shops
Kyle of Lochalsh

Main Street in Kyle of Lochalsh is still the centre of the village, viewed here looking inland from the end closest to the jetty which served the ferry to Skye. In the busy summer months when the ferry traffic was at its busiest, vehicles regularly queued for hours up the street waiting to cross to Skye. Sailings ceased with the opening of the Skye Bridge on 16 October 1995, and these traffic issues are no longer a problem.

The Pioneer Stores on the left of the picture was once a corrugated iron building, indicated by the dormer windows in the roof. It was owned by Alexander MacRae, known as the Pioneer or Pie. He lived for some time at Stromeferry, but moved to Kyle when the railway was extended at the end of the nineteenth century, having identified the development which would take place in that village. The Kyle Hotel, established in 1701 and one of the oldest buildings in the village, is situated on the right.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

road; village; hotel; shops

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Main Street in Kyle of Lochalsh is still the centre of the village, viewed here looking inland from the end closest to the jetty which served the ferry to Skye. In the busy summer months when the ferry traffic was at its busiest, vehicles regularly queued for hours up the street waiting to cross to Skye. Sailings ceased with the opening of the Skye Bridge on 16 October 1995, and these traffic issues are no longer a problem.<br /> <br /> The Pioneer Stores on the left of the picture was once a corrugated iron building, indicated by the dormer windows in the roof. It was owned by Alexander MacRae, known as the Pioneer or Pie. He lived for some time at Stromeferry, but moved to Kyle when the railway was extended at the end of the nineteenth century, having identified the development which would take place in that village. The Kyle Hotel, established in 1701 and one of the oldest buildings in the village, is situated on the right.