Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_017F_0332
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
1969
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13655
KEYWORDS
village
sports field
houses
Kyle of Lochalsh

This view of Kyle of Lochalsh looks northeast, with the railway bridge on Main Street on the right and Cnoc Terrace Council housing on the hill behind. The flat-roofed telephone exchange can be seen on the left. The flat area in the centre of the photograph was created on reclaimed land on the upper part of Pladaig Bay after World War II. A Playing Fields Association was formed to raise subscriptions for new pitches, when the old cricket ground near Railway Terrace was used for other things. Six years of work was involved, much of it voluntary, to blast rock, fill in and fence an area of several acres which was then seeded. The playing field was finally opened in 1950 having cost about £16,000.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

village; sports field; houses

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This view of Kyle of Lochalsh looks northeast, with the railway bridge on Main Street on the right and Cnoc Terrace Council housing on the hill behind. The flat-roofed telephone exchange can be seen on the left. The flat area in the centre of the photograph was created on reclaimed land on the upper part of Pladaig Bay after World War II. A Playing Fields Association was formed to raise subscriptions for new pitches, when the old cricket ground near Railway Terrace was used for other things. Six years of work was involved, much of it voluntary, to blast rock, fill in and fence an area of several acres which was then seeded. The playing field was finally opened in 1950 having cost about £16,000.