Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Trumpan Head Light
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_030_0782
PLACENAME
Trumpan Head
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13706
KEYWORDS
lighthouses
lights
shipping
transport
safety
signals
Trumpan Head Light

Tiumpan Head Lighthouse is found in Point, Isle of Lewis. After initial refusals it was eventually approved in May 1879. It was built to a design by David Alan Stevenson and Charles Stevenson with an estimated cost of £9000. It had a compliment of six lightkeepers. Three keepers and their families lived at the light and were supported by a local assistant and two occasional keepers from a nearby village. Tiumpan Head also has a fog signal which was first sounded in 1956 by Prince Charles, aged seven. The light is looked after by the Northern Lighthouse Board and was automated in 1985. Some of the buildings within the lighthouse complex have been sold and now house a kennels and cattery.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Trumpan Head Light

ROSS: Stornoway

1970s

lighthouses; lights; shipping; transport; safety; signals

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Tiumpan Head Lighthouse is found in Point, Isle of Lewis. After initial refusals it was eventually approved in May 1879. It was built to a design by David Alan Stevenson and Charles Stevenson with an estimated cost of £9000. It had a compliment of six lightkeepers. Three keepers and their families lived at the light and were supported by a local assistant and two occasional keepers from a nearby village. Tiumpan Head also has a fog signal which was first sounded in 1956 by Prince Charles, aged seven. The light is looked after by the Northern Lighthouse Board and was automated in 1985. Some of the buildings within the lighthouse complex have been sold and now house a kennels and cattery.