Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Columba's Church, Aignish
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_032_0834
PLACENAME
Aignish
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13717
KEYWORDS
churches
buildings
ruins
graves
graveyards
saints
religion
St Columba's Church, Aignish

It is believed that St Catan, a contemporary of Columba, established a cell at Aignish on the island of Lewis. The buildings that stand there now date from the 14th century and from two separate construction phases. The church was dedicated to St Columba and is known variously as St Columba's (Uidh), Eye Church and Eaglais na h-Aoidh.

It was used as an Episcopalian church until 1829 when a new Thomas Telford church was built nearby during a time when evangelical Scottish Presbyterianism was sweeping across the islands. The church fell into ruin and is now in danger from coastal erosion.

The graveyard at Eye Church is the burial place for around nineteen of the Chiefs of the Macleods of Lewis including Roderick Macleod VII, the last of the Macleod chiefs, who died in 1498.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Columba's Church, Aignish

ROSS: Stornoway

1960s

churches; buildings; ruins; graves; graveyards; saints; religion;

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

It is believed that St Catan, a contemporary of Columba, established a cell at Aignish on the island of Lewis. The buildings that stand there now date from the 14th century and from two separate construction phases. The church was dedicated to St Columba and is known variously as St Columba's (Uidh), Eye Church and Eaglais na h-Aoidh.<br /> <br /> It was used as an Episcopalian church until 1829 when a new Thomas Telford church was built nearby during a time when evangelical Scottish Presbyterianism was sweeping across the islands. The church fell into ruin and is now in danger from coastal erosion.<br /> <br /> The graveyard at Eye Church is the burial place for around nineteen of the Chiefs of the Macleods of Lewis including Roderick Macleod VII, the last of the Macleod chiefs, who died in 1498.