Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_038_0968
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13725
KEYWORDS
village
houses
loch
Kyle of Lochalsh

This view of Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1970s looks eastwards down Loch Alsh with the new road, the A87, visible in the background following the coastline. Prior to its construction, access to the village from Kintail was through Balmacara, Erbusaig and other small settlements to the north. Kyle itself consisted of a few houses and an Inn clustered near the ferry to Skye until the railway terminus was built in 1897. It developed rapidly thereafter with steamers and trains transporting goods and passengers arriving at the pierhead just seen on the extreme right of the photograph.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

village; houses; loch

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This view of Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1970s looks eastwards down Loch Alsh with the new road, the A87, visible in the background following the coastline. Prior to its construction, access to the village from Kintail was through Balmacara, Erbusaig and other small settlements to the north. Kyle itself consisted of a few houses and an Inn clustered near the ferry to Skye until the railway terminus was built in 1897. It developed rapidly thereafter with steamers and trains transporting goods and passengers arriving at the pierhead just seen on the extreme right of the photograph.