Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh Station and Pier
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_038_0978
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13729
KEYWORDS
railway station
freight train
transport
pierhead
Kyle of Lochalsh Station and Pier

The railway terminus was opened at Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, and the combination of the pier and station alongside each other meant that the area was always a hive of activity. The engineering on the final part of the Kyle line from Inverness and Dingwall made it the most expensive railway of the time, with 31 rock cuttings and 29 bridges built on this section alone, and the ground for the station in Kyle, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, had to be blasted out of solid rock. The station itself was built by Murdoch Paterson and is approached from the village by a long ramped roadway.

The pier was also used by fishing boats and was a regular port of call for steamers on the west coast route from Glasgow to the Western Isles carrying freight, mail and passengers. During WWII, the area was used by the military for the transportation of ammunition and personnel. Loch Alsh provided the deep water required for ships, and the railway easy access from the rest of the country.

The village of Kyleakin on Skye can just be seen in the background.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh Station and Pier

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

railway station; freight train; transport; pierhead

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The railway terminus was opened at Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, and the combination of the pier and station alongside each other meant that the area was always a hive of activity. The engineering on the final part of the Kyle line from Inverness and Dingwall made it the most expensive railway of the time, with 31 rock cuttings and 29 bridges built on this section alone, and the ground for the station in Kyle, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, had to be blasted out of solid rock. The station itself was built by Murdoch Paterson and is approached from the village by a long ramped roadway.<br /> <br /> The pier was also used by fishing boats and was a regular port of call for steamers on the west coast route from Glasgow to the Western Isles carrying freight, mail and passengers. During WWII, the area was used by the military for the transportation of ammunition and personnel. Loch Alsh provided the deep water required for ships, and the railway easy access from the rest of the country.<br /> <br /> The village of Kyleakin on Skye can just be seen in the background.