Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_050_0352
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kintail
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13763
KEYWORDS
village
Dornie Bridge
housing
Dornie

Dornie is situated at the mouth of Loch Long where it meets Loch Duich. The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the inhabitants were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding, and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. As the herring industry declined, so did the population, although the village remained an important ferry crossing between Kintail and Lochalsh.

The ferry between Dornie and Ardelve was eventually replaced with the bridge just seen on the left of the photograph. The ferroconcrete bridge spanned Loch Long and was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 after years of debate in the community as to the necessity of a permanent structure. The bridge had to incorporate an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway, and on completion was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway. Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. The bridge was demolished and replaced with a much larger two lane structure by-passing Dornie in 1991.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie

ROSS: Kintail

1960s

village; Dornie Bridge; housing

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Dornie is situated at the mouth of Loch Long where it meets Loch Duich. The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the inhabitants were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding, and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. As the herring industry declined, so did the population, although the village remained an important ferry crossing between Kintail and Lochalsh. <br /> <br /> The ferry between Dornie and Ardelve was eventually replaced with the bridge just seen on the left of the photograph. The ferroconcrete bridge spanned Loch Long and was officially opened on Tuesday 30th April 1940 after years of debate in the community as to the necessity of a permanent structure. The bridge had to incorporate an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway, and on completion was 750 feet long, with a roadway of 16½ feet, and a walkway of 5 feet. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway. Tolls came into effect on 1st May 1940, but were abandoned in 1946. The bridge was demolished and replaced with a much larger two lane structure by-passing Dornie in 1991.