Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton Primary
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_061_0667
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13793
KEYWORDS
school
village
education
Plockton Primary

Plockton Primary School was built in 1858 on behalf of Sir Alexander Matheson, owner of Lochalsh Estate, with later additions in 1889. The Matheson coat of arms remains over the main door. The architect was Alexander Ross who also designed many other schools and buildings locally, including Duncraig Castle and Plockton Free Church. The school was also added to in order to be used as a Senior Secondary for the wider area with Primary classes being held in other buildings in the village, until a new secondary school was built in 1964, and this building reverted to a Primary school.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton Primary

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

school; village; education

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Plockton Primary School was built in 1858 on behalf of Sir Alexander Matheson, owner of Lochalsh Estate, with later additions in 1889. The Matheson coat of arms remains over the main door. The architect was Alexander Ross who also designed many other schools and buildings locally, including Duncraig Castle and Plockton Free Church. The school was also added to in order to be used as a Senior Secondary for the wider area with Primary classes being held in other buildings in the village, until a new secondary school was built in 1964, and this building reverted to a Primary school.