Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duirinish, Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_086_1320
PLACENAME
Duirinish
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13840
KEYWORDS
cottages
village
barn
community
crofthouse
Duirinish, Lochalsh

Duirinish is one of the best examples of a crofting township in the Highlands. It is situated between Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh, and straddles a river, Allt Dhuirinish, on the right of this photograph behind the trees. A cow stands rather forlornly in the shelter of a corrugated iron house extension. The village is pictured here from the East, where the road rises to the Telford designed bridge dating from 1926 which spans the river.

Although cut off from the sea by the railway which was extended from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the locating of a station at Duirinish brought a boost to the local economy. The once thriving crofting and fishing settlement with a population of over a hundred people in 1891, including three butchers, an undertaker and a shirtmaker, saw a rapid decline after WWI which continued throughout the last century. Despite this, the township retains its character, especially with the survival of the traditional barns which are a particular feature of the village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duirinish, Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

cottages; village; barn; community; crofthouse

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Duirinish is one of the best examples of a crofting township in the Highlands. It is situated between Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh, and straddles a river, Allt Dhuirinish, on the right of this photograph behind the trees. A cow stands rather forlornly in the shelter of a corrugated iron house extension. The village is pictured here from the East, where the road rises to the Telford designed bridge dating from 1926 which spans the river.<br /> <br /> Although cut off from the sea by the railway which was extended from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897, the locating of a station at Duirinish brought a boost to the local economy. The once thriving crofting and fishing settlement with a population of over a hundred people in 1891, including three butchers, an undertaker and a shirtmaker, saw a rapid decline after WWI which continued throughout the last century. Despite this, the township retains its character, especially with the survival of the traditional barns which are a particular feature of the village.