Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Pictish standing stone, Dingwall Churchyard
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_086_1325
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13842
KEYWORDS
pictish symbols
Symbol Stone
garveyard
Pictish standing stone, Dingwall Churchyard

This Pictish symbol stone was discovered in 1880 incorporated into St Clement's Parish Church in Dingwall as a lintel above a doorway. It now stands in the ancient churchyard opposite the entrance gate, in a burial ground much older than the church. This reverse view of the rectangular slab of mica schist shows three circles, crescent and V-rod, and six cup-marks, typical Pictish symbols. The front is inscribed with a double disc and Z-rod, and two crescent and V-rods.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Pictish standing stone, Dingwall Churchyard

ROSS: Dingwall

1970s

pictish symbols; Symbol Stone; garveyard

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This Pictish symbol stone was discovered in 1880 incorporated into St Clement's Parish Church in Dingwall as a lintel above a doorway. It now stands in the ancient churchyard opposite the entrance gate, in a burial ground much older than the church. This reverse view of the rectangular slab of mica schist shows three circles, crescent and V-rod, and six cup-marks, typical Pictish symbols. The front is inscribed with a double disc and Z-rod, and two crescent and V-rods.