Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Ban Lighthouse
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_086_1328
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13843
KEYWORDS
Stevenson Lighthouse
sea loch
Eilean Ban Lighthouse

Eilean Bàn lighthouse stands on the island of Eilean Bàn at the entrance of Loch Alsh. It rises to a height of 21 metres and was built by David and Thomas Stevenson in 1857. The lighthouse had two keepers, and accommodation for them and their families was provided in two cottages on the island. The light was automated in 1960 and the island and cottages were bought by the author and naturalist Gavin Maxwell in 1963. The island is used as a support for the Skye Bridge but is owned by the Eilean Bàn Trust which keeps the island in community ownership and helps protect the island's wildlife.

The lighthouse itself was decommissioned in 1993 but is still used for marine navigation into Loch Alsh during daylight hours.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Ban Lighthouse

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

Stevenson Lighthouse; sea loch

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Eilean Bàn lighthouse stands on the island of Eilean Bàn at the entrance of Loch Alsh. It rises to a height of 21 metres and was built by David and Thomas Stevenson in 1857. The lighthouse had two keepers, and accommodation for them and their families was provided in two cottages on the island. The light was automated in 1960 and the island and cottages were bought by the author and naturalist Gavin Maxwell in 1963. The island is used as a support for the Skye Bridge but is owned by the Eilean Bàn Trust which keeps the island in community ownership and helps protect the island's wildlife.<br /> <br /> The lighthouse itself was decommissioned in 1993 but is still used for marine navigation into Loch Alsh during daylight hours.