Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bank Street, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_086_1332
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
Highland Council Planning Department
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13844
KEYWORDS
village
tourism
housing
Bank Street, Plockton

The road on the right of this photograph leads to Innes Street in Plockton. However, the houses pictured are on Bank Street, a particularly attractive row of 19th century dormered cottages which face the shore of Loch Carron. The slopes of Creag nan Garadh are in the background. They are a popular viewpoint over Plockton.

Originally a planned village laid out for the Earl of Seaforth in 1794, Plockton was developed in 1801 by William Cumming to allow the next landowner, Sir Hugh Innes, to take advantage of the sheltered location off Loch Carron and the thriving herring industry. It also provided homes for tenants cleared from elsewhere on the Lochalsh Estate.

Plockton is now one of the most popular holiday destinations in the north-west Highlands, and a National Trust for Scotland conservation village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bank Street, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

village; tourism; housing

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The road on the right of this photograph leads to Innes Street in Plockton. However, the houses pictured are on Bank Street, a particularly attractive row of 19th century dormered cottages which face the shore of Loch Carron. The slopes of Creag nan Garadh are in the background. They are a popular viewpoint over Plockton.<br /> <br /> Originally a planned village laid out for the Earl of Seaforth in 1794, Plockton was developed in 1801 by William Cumming to allow the next landowner, Sir Hugh Innes, to take advantage of the sheltered location off Loch Carron and the thriving herring industry. It also provided homes for tenants cleared from elsewhere on the Lochalsh Estate. <br /> <br /> Plockton is now one of the most popular holiday destinations in the north-west Highlands, and a National Trust for Scotland conservation village.