Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton Parish Church
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_086_1335
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
13847
KEYWORDS
village
parish church
Plockton Parish Church

The Plockton Parish Church opened in 1827, one of the 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' churches. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed the appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches with £1500 maximum budget per site. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor, with all churches to a standard design. The land for this church was given by Sir Hugh Innes, with John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane as contractors. The initial seating was for 312, with a later expansion to accommodate 500 paid by Issac Lillingston, the local landowner at the time. The single-storey manse across the road was eventually sold with the proceeds used to upgrade the church to today's standards, and it is used by both Church of Scotland and Free Church congregations.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton Parish Church

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

village; parish church

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Plockton Parish Church opened in 1827, one of the 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' churches. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed the appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches with £1500 maximum budget per site. Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor, with all churches to a standard design. The land for this church was given by Sir Hugh Innes, with John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane as contractors. The initial seating was for 312, with a later expansion to accommodate 500 paid by Issac Lillingston, the local landowner at the time. The single-storey manse across the road was eventually sold with the proceeds used to upgrade the church to today's standards, and it is used by both Church of Scotland and Free Church congregations.