Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - receipt for land rental from MacDonald Estates, 1949
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_102
DATE OF IMAGE
20 May 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
1401
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
commercial fishing
salmon fishing
trout fishing
net fishing
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - receipt for land rental from MacDonald Estates, 1949

This document is a receipt of rental paid to the estate of Lord MacDonald by James Banks of the West Highland Salmon Fisheries. Noted as 'Portree, Bayfield Store, etc', this refers to the boat shed, and adjacent land used by Banks. The land at the boat shed would be used for drying and repairing nets as well as maintaining boats and other equipment.

The total rent for the year to 11 November (as noted on the receipt) was £20 but the rent was covered for the year to 28th November, or Martinmas. This is one of the Scottish legal or term days when rents, leases and other contracts were renewed (Candlemas, Whitsunday and Lammas were the others). Originally the dates were associated with holy days, but fixed to the 28th day, every three months by the Term and Quarter Days (Scotland) Act 1990. The receipt is validated with a stamp and signature of the MacDonald Estate Factor. The bill was paid on 20 May 1949.


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - receipt for land rental from MacDonald Estates, 1949

1940s

fishing industry; commercial fishing; salmon fishing; trout fishing; net fishing

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd (documents)

This document is a receipt of rental paid to the estate of Lord MacDonald by James Banks of the West Highland Salmon Fisheries. Noted as 'Portree, Bayfield Store, etc', this refers to the boat shed, and adjacent land used by Banks. The land at the boat shed would be used for drying and repairing nets as well as maintaining boats and other equipment. <br /> <br /> The total rent for the year to 11 November (as noted on the receipt) was £20 but the rent was covered for the year to 28th November, or Martinmas. This is one of the Scottish legal or term days when rents, leases and other contracts were renewed (Candlemas, Whitsunday and Lammas were the others). Originally the dates were associated with holy days, but fixed to the 28th day, every three months by the Term and Quarter Days (Scotland) Act 1990. The receipt is validated with a stamp and signature of the MacDonald Estate Factor. The bill was paid on 20 May 1949.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>