Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Harbour Street, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_102_1778
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14063
KEYWORDS
village
Plockton Stores
Harbour Street, Plockton

Originally a planned village laid out for the Earl of Seaforth in 1794, Plockton was developed by William Cumming for the next landowner, Sir Hugh Innes, in 1801 to take advantage of the sheltered location off Loch Carron and the thriving herring industry. It also provided homes for tenants cleared from elsewhere on the Lochalsh Estate. The Estate was bought by Sir Alexander Matheson in the 1850s and Duncraig Castle built overlooking the bay. The buildings making up Harbour Street, pictured here curving along the shore, are mostly nineteenth century and listed.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Harbour Street, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

village; Plockton Stores

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Originally a planned village laid out for the Earl of Seaforth in 1794, Plockton was developed by William Cumming for the next landowner, Sir Hugh Innes, in 1801 to take advantage of the sheltered location off Loch Carron and the thriving herring industry. It also provided homes for tenants cleared from elsewhere on the Lochalsh Estate. The Estate was bought by Sir Alexander Matheson in the 1850s and Duncraig Castle built overlooking the bay. The buildings making up Harbour Street, pictured here curving along the shore, are mostly nineteenth century and listed.