Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Skara Brae, Orkney
EXTERNAL ID
AB_LL_MORAG_MACINNES_01_AUDIO
PLACENAME
Skara Brae
DATE OF RECORDING
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Colin Smith
SOURCE
Geograph British Isles
ASSET ID
1411
KEYWORDS
Stone Age
settlements
excavations
archaeology

Get Adobe Flash player

This photograph shows one of the shelved 'dressers' in the Neolithic settlement at Skara Brae, Orkney. Each of the eight houses is furnished in a similar manner with central hearth, box-beds, and shelved dressers. The exception is house eight, a freestanding building, which may have been used as a workshop.

Parts of the settlement at Skara Brae were first revealed in 1850, following a violent storm. The local laird, William Watt of Skaill, excavated the remains of four ancient houses but after 1868 work was abandoned. In 1925 another storm damaged some of the previously excavated houses and a strengthening sea wall was built to protect the site. In the course of construction, the remains of more ancient houses were discovered. In the late 1920s and early 30s Professor Gordon Childe undertook further excavations to reveal the dwellings that can be seen today. The village may have been in use for around six hundred years between 3100 and 2500 BC. The visible structures represent the latest phase of rebuilding and occupation.

(Image Copyright - Colin Smith)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Skara Brae, Orkney

2000s

Stone Age; settlements; excavations; archaeology

Geograph British Isles

Creative Commons

This photograph shows one of the shelved 'dressers' in the Neolithic settlement at Skara Brae, Orkney. Each of the eight houses is furnished in a similar manner with central hearth, box-beds, and shelved dressers. The exception is house eight, a freestanding building, which may have been used as a workshop.<br /> <br /> Parts of the settlement at Skara Brae were first revealed in 1850, following a violent storm. The local laird, William Watt of Skaill, excavated the remains of four ancient houses but after 1868 work was abandoned. In 1925 another storm damaged some of the previously excavated houses and a strengthening sea wall was built to protect the site. In the course of construction, the remains of more ancient houses were discovered. In the late 1920s and early 30s Professor Gordon Childe undertook further excavations to reveal the dwellings that can be seen today. The village may have been in use for around six hundred years between 3100 and 2500 BC. The visible structures represent the latest phase of rebuilding and occupation.<br /> <br /> (Image Copyright - Colin Smith)